President & Founder
Aaron is the embodiment of the entrepreneurial spirit. When he used a carpentry background to start Spohn Ranch in the early ‘90’s, he had no back-up plan – he put everything he had behind his passion for action sports. That passion culminated in a backyard half-pipe that not only gave birth to a community, but eventually an award-winning skatepark design/build firm.
After Aaron helped launch skateparks into the mainstream when he partnered with ESPN to develop the X-Games, Spohn Ranch’s backyard roots spread globally in the form of hundreds of cutting-edge creations.
From permanent skateable landscapes to innovative installations for high-profile events Spohn Ranch has played an invaluable role in the exponential growth and development of action sports. Hailed by insiders as a pioneer of the modern municipal skatepark, Aaron has also spent considerable effort promoting the industry as a whole and sharing his extensive knowledge.
These days, when Aaron travels, he will still drive 200 miles out of his way to visit a new skatepark. Even after thirty years of work in the skatepark industry, he will always be an avid student of the latest in action sports, architecture and construction.
Awards & Recognition:
- Featured expert on Spike TV’s “Playbook 360” dedicated to skatepark design/construction (2014)
- Consultant for Atlanta Olympics tribute to action sports (1996)
- Educational speaker at Global Skateboarding Summit in Istanbul, Turkey (2015)
- Educational speaker at ASLA, NRPA & various State Park/Rec Conferences (2000-present)
- Editorial contributor to Parks & Recreation, Landscape Architecture and other industry publications (2000-present)
- Founding member of ASTM sub-committee that established skatepark safety guidelines (2002-2006)